Edith & Winston is the 2015 National Winner of the British Plus Size Award for the Best Bridal Range. Owner Rebecca Lord-Lyon shares her advice on the Top Five Points that every plus size bride needs to know.
"Shopping as a Plus Size bride can be a bit more complicated compared to shopping for the ‘straight’ sizes. Brides not only have to find samples in a size which they can try on, but also find a dress to suit their shape and figure. Since 2014, the Plus Size bride has more options than ever before with the opening of speciality boutiques across the country aimed at the curvy woman. Edith & Winston Bridalwear opened at the very end of 2014 and we specialise in sizes 18+. I have written a 5 step guide for a Plus Size bride to finding the perfect gown.
1. Research. The first step for any bride-to-be is research, finding a boutique in your area that carries a collection or selection of gowns sized 18+. There are more specialist boutiques than ever before, but sometimes you may have to do a little bit of travelling to get there. But many bridal boutiques have extended their collections to bring the fuller figured brides a larger choice. So call around, and find out what size samples they hold. Research designers and find out who stocks the gowns and in what size. Locate boutiques with specialist Plus Size Designers like Callista and Sonsie, where the staff will understand the needs of a Plus Size bride and will be able to help you in the right direction and to finding your wedding dress.
2. You don’t have to choose a specialist designer. We stock three wonderful designers here at Edith & Winston Bridalwear whose gowns are available up to a size 28/30 (depending on the designer). We chose designers that we knew we could trust to not only deliver on quality, but also bring modern designs that work for a fuller figured bride. So if you have fallen in love with a gown by a particular designer, try and locate a sample or ask advice on the boning and the structure. I know that my designers have the much needed support within the gowns. So if you want to wear a designer who doesn’t specialise in Plus Size, don’t be put off. Some of our favourite Ronald Joyce gowns work the best in a size 26!
3. Plus Size Bridalwear is no-longer old fashioned. Gone are the days when brides would be forced into a ruched satin gown that raised the bust up so high it gave the bride an unnatural silhouette. The leading Plus Size designers are showing the way with beautiful ball gowns and fitted fishtails. Also, knowing that you can buy from a designer like Ivory & Co, whose designs go up to a size 28, means you are getting the latest designs seen on the catwalks. Designers are working on creating the best structure without forfeiting an up-to-date, on-trend look to each gown. Perfect for the modern bride!
4. Corset backs are not just for the older bride. Corsets are your friend! We love when a gown comes with a lace up back, as it creates a stunning silhouette that often can’t be achieved with a zip, and also means that the gown can be adjusted during the day to suit your comfort needs. Corsets -- when laced correctly -- can look beautiful and complement the style of gown. But if corsets are not your thing, don’t worry -- most designers will be able to adapt the gown and give you a zip (but bear in mind this will normally be an added cost to the final price of your gown).
5. Have fun! A bridal appointment is supposed to be a fun experience and not something to dread. If you find the right boutique and with the right staff, you will have a wonderful and enjoyable time. Don’t ever feel pressured into buying a gown, unless you have left it too late and it needs to be ordered there and then. Brides shouldn’t be made to feel that if only one sample in a boutique fits, that that is the dress they must buy. Find another boutique with more options. You never know, you might end up returning to purchase the gown you first tried on. If you are nervous, call up before hand and have a chat to the shop assistant and tell them why you are nervous. Hopefully they can help reassure you, or at least be ready to help make your experience a good one when you arrive at your appointment.
We hope that all our brides have a great experience with Edith & Winston Bridalwear. We are passionate about Plus Size. We hope that these 5 steps will help you on your journey to find the dress of your dreams. Just remember that it is your day and it’s up to you which dress is ‘The One’. Most importantly of all enjoy the run-up to your wedding day, the research stage, the Instagram and Pinterest stage, and most importantly, your wedding day."
Edith & Winston Bridalwear
4A Princess Street, WA16 6DD Knutsford
Tel: 01565 228080